Re: Enlarged negs from pyro negs

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/29/02-08:57:35 PM Z

Jeffrey,

I'm sure that what you say is true. I've seen some of your prints in
platinum enlarged from 4x5 to 8x10 and the techniques, which you are always
careful to point out you learned from Sal Lopes, certainly produce the best
enlargements of large format I've encountered. But they aren't contact
prints.

Another recent message, I apologise for not remembering the poster, talked
about spending hours and hours manipulating an image in PhotoShop before
printing it out digitally.

Both of these messages about, well, "fixing" the negative make me wonder a
bit. Maybe it's just me but the Pt/Pd contact print offers the most direct
photographic experience imaginable. If you do everything right making the
exposure, and don't screw up developing the film, you get a wonderful print
on the first or second try (if the picture was worth making in the first
place). If a negative doesn't work, make another. Move on. The idea of
fixing-up and manipulating the image simply doesn't appeal to me. It may be
a game worth playing to change a negative into something it wasn't to begin
with, but the game that interests me is getting the perception in my head
straight through the camera and the negative into the print. ---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at: