Re: The Pictorial Nude and Pictorialism Generally

From: Thom Mitchell (tjmitch@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 08/30/02-08:59:16 AM Z

Speaking of invisibility, Eli Reed, a great photojournalist and also a very
large man, whose hands virtually hide the leica he uses, is able to blend
into the background and appear to be inert. Visible ,but completely part of
the environment. Lack of movement, patience, traveling light, knowing your
equipment and waiting for the right moment. Better photojournalists practice
this especially when they aren't trapped by daily deadlines tasked to get
"the shot" on a story. I always wondered how Nicholas Nixon was able to take
"candids" with his 8x10, especially focusing and framing. My background in
photojournalism draws me to that kind of usage of the 8x10. Anyone know more
of the mechanics of his work?