Re: Artist I have been looking at during this nude discussion

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/31/02-08:43:53 PM Z

Warning, some raunch to follow:

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Jeff Buck wrote:
> ... And, yes, Judy where I
> grew up (Darkest Iowa), the word "box" was used occasionally in the way you
> mention. Like you, I can only guess at the Freudian potential. I have to
> say that, growing up in Iowa there, I was puzzled at this use of the word
> "box" ("'Box?' How is it like a box?")....

I asked my husband, who said, "The expression originally was, 'I don't
have my cherry, but I still have the box it came in.'" However I think a
box represents a container, an empty or holding space -- rather than a
thrust, a pencil, lingam, sceptre, cigar, or other item or image
considered *phallic* symbol.

> ...There are also three images of
> the fifty of subjects kind of curled up, fetus-like, in shallow bowls.

I don't think you have to be Sigmund Freud to see a bowl as symbol of
womb, container, or holder.

 For
> the record. Now, what Arthur says about the box of the photographic frame
> comes into play too, in my opinion.

This is, as noted, so far fetched you'll regret it in the morning -- You
could by same token say photo is on the wall, so no meaning of wall in any
picture. Or it's under glass, so any covering of any figure is moot. And
if the print was just pinned on the wall, as many are these days, then the
the box means a box? I can't even say "nice try." TERRIBLE try.

J.