Re: Warning: Digital Question

From: Ken Watson (watsok@frii.com)
Date: 12/01/02-12:30:41 PM Z

Sandy,

This really would depend on many things. The one issue I am most familiar
with has to do with the sensor.

If the sensor had a separate set of color photodiodes for 300 DPI
resolution ( or even 600 DPI ) the 300DPI would be best because there would
be a higher signal to noise ratio.

In many cases, a 2400 DPI sensor that is run at 300 DPI has 3/4 of the
information thrown away for a faster scan. ( every 4th or 8th pixel is
used).

It could be that the software is accumulating the charges from 8 sequential
pixels and sums them for 300 DPI resolution. This is still not as good as a
straight 300DPI sensor because the signal to noise ratio is still the same
as the 2400 DPI sensor. But it has a better chance of getting that
particular pixel the correct density / color.

Perhaps there is information about how the software handles different
resolutions in the manual. A way to see for yourself is do a scan at
2400DPI resolution and another at 300. If the 300 DPI scan is faster (
takes less time )there is a good chance that there is a lot of info being
dumped. Try to determine if Epson specifically states they have an
additional set of color stripes / sensors for doing lower image resolutions,
which I strongly suspect is not the case. If they do have additional sets
of sensors then the above speed test is invalid.