Re: Warning: Digital Question

From: Andrew Darlow (andy@andydarlow.com)
Date: 12/01/02-01:17:07 PM Z

>I have a scanning resolution question.
>
>Situation is this. I am scanning a 4 X 6.5" section of a 5X7" color
>negative with the Epson 2450 flatbed scanner, which has optical
>resolution of 2400 dpi, using SilverFast scanning software as a
>plug-in to PhotoShop. The eventual purpose of the scans is to make
>color prints approximately 13X19" in size, or to make negatives for
>alternative printing. I understand that a maximum resolution of a
>little over 300 dpi at the printing size is needed for either
>purpose.
>
>My question is this. What are the pros and cons of of the two
>following scenarios: 1) scanning at 100% of the 4 X 6.5" negative
>size at the maximum optical resolution of 2450 dpi, re-sizing later
>in PhotoShop, or 2) scanning at the desired printing size of 13X19"
>300dpi?
>
>Sandy King

Hi Sandy:

I always scan at 100% at an integer that the scanner wants to scan
at, up to the maximum for the scanner. On most scanners, there are
"sweet spots" of resolution as you move the slider(ie 360/720,etc)
and in this case I would scan at 2450 ppi(not dpi-just semantics, but
an important difference).

All the best!

Andrew Darlow

------
Photography, Digital Print Consulting and Custom Editions
Andrew Darlow Images International, www.andrewdarlow.com
Author: Inkjet Tip of the Month Club (newsletter)