Re: How to reduce paper contrast of cyanotypes

From: Shannon Stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 12/02/02-09:37:45 AM Z

>I am finding that my "standard" negatives have a density
>range which is too great for "traditional" cyanotype.
>I have experimented with different amounts of A and B
>with little benefit. Does anyone have a method of reducing
>the contrast of the paper ?

Try processing with some vinegar in the first wash. What I do is to
put one part vinegar in five parts of water. This makes a "softer
paper grade," as it were. You can keep increasing the vinegar for
more softness, but I rarely go above 1:5.

Also trying different papers may help. Some people say that
Whatman's fine printmaking paper, if you can find it, has a longer
scale. I got it from New York Central Art Supply, by mail order. It
did seem to have a slightly longer scale.

I am surprised that your regular silver negatives are too dense.
Mine print fine on Crane's platinotype processed in plain water. If
anything, they are sometimes not dense enough. Do you know what the
density range of your negatives is?

--shannon