RE: toning VDB & kalli - 2 questions

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/03/02-02:33:22 PM Z

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Liam Lawless wrote:
> Yet another possible complication comes from the chlorides usually present
> in tap water, responsible for the milkiness seen in the first wash. If the
> first rinse is under the tap, insoluble silver chloride will form with the
> unused sensitiser, and chances are that a little will be retained in the
> paper. Rinse for half a minute in each of two changes of pure water to
> avoid this. Afterwards, continue washing under the tap if you feel more
> washing is necessary.

Several of my students had very interesting results with a variable test
on length of wash -- in EVERY case longer washing before fixing VDB (up to
5 minutes, instead of the rinse until no more milky water I was taught)
gave stronger richer brighter prints. I don't know what if any bearing
that has on the question of action of the fixer, but it does bear on
printing.

J.