RE: VDB test results: related concerns

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/08/02-02:19:22 PM Z

Liam,

I have been printing kallitype today and just out of curiosity tested
the theory that toning with gold, platinum and palladium in effect
"locks up" the image. I believe the results would pertain also to
VDB, though I am not absolutely positive. The actual VDB test would
be easy enough to conduct but I am currently in a "make print mode",
concentrating on kallitype and carbon and would like to avoid further
distraction.

In any event here is what I did.

My normal working procedure with kallitype is:
1. Expose
2. Develop
3. Two separate clearing baths, 3% citric acid, 2 minutes each
4. Tone
5. Two separate fixing baths
6. 1% sodium sulfite bath
7. Wash

When the two clearing baths are carried out one after another the
image will continue to bleach throughout the entire period. Toning
will then return much of the bleached image back and essentially lock
in the image for the remaining processing steps. That is, after
toning the image is essentially as it will look after processing is
complete, except for dry down.

For this print I did the following:
1. Expose
2. Develop
3. Clearing Bath #1, 3% citric acid
4. tone
5. Clearing Bath #2, 3% citric acid
Rest same ......

In this case the image was toned after Clearing Bath #1, meaning that
it had bleached much less than in the first case. It was then toned,
and after toning placed in Clearing Bath #2. However, there was no
further change in the image in Clearing Bath #2 after it had been
toned, and none thereafter. Dmax was considerably improved. So
clearly, in the case of kallitype the toner does appear to set the
image and prevent further fading of bleaching so I think logic makes
sense that it be done as soon as possible.

Sandy