Re: Book on Lighting

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/08/02-09:04:15 PM Z

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Ken Watson wrote:

> My son has asked for a book on lighting. He is doing mostly Portraits /
> group shoots with a digital camera. I do not know of the lighting issues
> going digital so I thought I would ask for recommendations. If you would
> like to reply directly my email is:

Hi Ken-- I can't say anything about TECHNICAL techniques, since, for
better or worse, I rely on Available Light and Photoshop, but for the
Aesthetics of Lighting let me suggest Wm Mortensen. Even if you don't
like or use or even hate his notions, he addresses lighting (in several
books, including one I recently treated myself to -- Outdoor Portraits,
2nd ed) in ways others do not.

I'd mostly considered them period pieces, until a former student -- & a
brilliant photographer -- informed me that she'd learned lighting entirely
from M.

J.