Kallitype versus VDB? (to Sandy)

From: Breukel, C. (HKG) (C.Breukel@lumc.nl)
Date: 12/09/02-05:31:49 AM Z

I have a question for Sandy King, which I hope will also interest the list.

Sandy, I understand you mainly work with the Kallitype process, not so much
with VDB. What are the differences (image wise (colour, contrast etc), not
technical) between Kallitype and VDB in your opnion, and why do you prefer
Kallitype?

I did do some Kallitype printing, and VDB in the past. I did prefer
Kallitype it's black/grey image tone over the choclate brown image of VDB.
But lately I tried VDB according to Wynn White, on Ed Buffaloe site:
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Vandyke/vandyke.html ; using double
coating and goldtonening before fix. I must say I was realy pleasently
surprised with the obtained colour scheme (blackbrown shadows, greyish
midtones, and a hint of purple in the highlights)

Cor