Re: Susan Sontag article

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 12/13/02-09:40:08 PM Z

  I pretty much, in fact . . really . . don't agree here. I read Ms.
Sontag's book when it came out and felt for a neophyte she was brilliant and
figured out photography pretty darned good. In fact, I have consistently
been surprised why others who have become photographers don't have the same
motis operandi. In some way, most photographers of today have been beguiled
by the Szarkowski/Newhall/Adams mentality.
  For those who quit making photographs after reading her book . . w/out me
sounding grumpy or rude (hopefully) . . I'd say they had zero passion to
begin with and perhaps worked with the medium as a dilettante . . or, in
English, were dabblers.
  I thought . . gosh, it's a long time ago now . . her 'brilliance' was more
succulent than anything Beudrillard has done.
  Anyway, not to cause overt criticism, those are my 2¢
Jack