Re: Favorite Books on Alt- Processes ?

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/14/02-02:34:16 PM Z

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Sandy King wrote:
> With that in mind here is my answer to your request. I have quite a
> number of general books on alternative processes. If I were forced to
> throw all of them away but three, the following would remain.
>
> William Crawford, Keepers of Light
> John Barnier, Coming into Focus
> Richard Farber, Historic Photographic Processes

Ahem... I do not think the Farber book would go over very well in
Pakistan. The cover even raised some hackles here in the US -- from folks
who did not think that conventional soft-pornish (prone, arched back,
etc.) naked lady (and counterparts throughout) was just another neutral
art convention. As I understand it, naked is not a viable book cover in an
Islamic country, and I can hardly imagine this one in the school library.

Unless it's been re-editioned ? There are a couple in the James book,
also, about 3 or 4 very low key out of hundreds. James's is the book folks
seem to be talking about & using most, I think, at this moment anyway. I
also second the motion for Rexer... no how-to, but thoughtful text & art.

J.