Re: Susan Sontag article

From: Philip willarney (pwillarney@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/15/02-01:23:53 AM Z

--- "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
wrote:
..snip..
> to talk is cultural. He produces exquisite,
> delicate, peaceful,
> contemplative landscapes.
..snip..
> room, "Why is it that every time we view _____'s
> landscapes that the room
> goes quiet?" The students came back with these
> descriptive adjectives
> above, including reverence, meditation, etc. I
> said, "Exactly". I then
> continued to say, "________'s work is probably as
> close to Zen as an
> American will experience. This is a very crass
> analogy, but trying to
> describe ______'s landscapes is like trying to
> describe God". Needless to
..snip..

Good for you, and well said. The tension between
doing and talking about doing, creating and talking
about creating, seems to be a core struggle in that
strange custom, "teaching art." The mute voices, the
ones that are hard to analyze, need to be recognized
and honored. We are flesh, blood, hormones, spirit,
hope, dreams, random electrochemical activity. Words
are clumsy about a lot of what we do, and making art
can be a way of getting at what we can't say in words.

Good luck working through this. Might it be -- gosh
-- a "teaching opportunity?" :^)

-- pw