Re: 4x5 Development [ever so slightly off topic]Re: 4x5 Development [ever so slightly off topic]

From: Michael Healy (mjhealy@kcnet.com)
Date: 12/15/02-03:44:40 PM Z

Steve, I'd recommend the Combi-plan tank. I've used one exclusively for a
couple years now (after using trays and open tanks). I am very happy with
it. You can get one from Calumet for about $50. The Combi-plan is a black
plastic tank that holds about 32-36 oz of developer. It has a lid, a spigot
on top for pouring, and a spigot on the bottom for draining. You load up to
6 sheets into vertical slots in a separate rack that drops into the tank.
Once it's loaded, you seal the lid on it, and you can keep the lights on
just as you do w/ 120 tanks.

It does have its detractors, and they will point out several minor
shortcomings. The primary one, of course, is that you can't do single-sheet
development and finetune your way sheet by sheet into Ansel Adams heaven. If
that's a problem, then of course you want to stick to tray development. I
quit that a
long time ago myself because I have no darkroom, and my 2nd bathroom is a
dangerous enough place when I'm trying to work argyrotypes and albumen under
a safelight. But that's the main criticism I would level against it.

There also reports that sheets will move around in the Combi-plan. I think
you won't have this problem if you load properly. However, if I pull out a
sheet after fixing, so I can look at it, then I do sometimes get it reloaded
improperly. Then I've known that sheet to shift during the clearing process.
Usually it will slide from one side of the rack and press against the next
sheet. A real pain, but nothing to drive me back to trays.

Finally, w/ the Combi-plan, you probably will need longer development times.
When I first started using mine a few years ago, I was using HC-110 (B),
which requires 6m on Delta 100. Now, it takes about 60s to load the tank,
and then another 45s to drain. So with 6m, I was getting uneven development,
most notable in highlights. The lower 1/3 of the sheets sometimes would be
more developed than the
upper 1/3, by about 1/2 or more stops. On account of this, I switched to
HC-100 (E) which (if I remember correctly) required 9m instead of 6m. That
made a world of difference. I never again used (B), only (E). Also, I
routinely drain developer from the top instead of the bottom. This way the
bottom is getting development while the upper part still is loading; but
then the lower part is getting drained while the upper part (now inverted to
pour off) is still developing. Not very scientific, I know, but the
combination has cured my problem of uneven development. Nowadays, though, I
use Rodinal 1:50, so my times are in the range of 11-14m. I have not
experienced uneven development w/ the Combi-plan for quite some time.

The reason I elaborate on the "shortcomings" is because somebody out there
is bound to pooh-pooh this tank. I think it works just fine, though, once
you learn to work with it and then hold to a routine. IE, the same story as
w/ every other photographic process. I say, if you need to get away from
trays, then this tank is definitely worth checking out. It's done me a world
of good. The one thing I'm not sure about is whether it's IR safe. Never got
around to using HIE in sheets, and I won't be running any Maco 820ir through
it until probably after Christmas.

Mike Healy