Re: Gum & 50's Color Ad Aesthetic

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 12/15/02-03:43:43 PM Z

Hi Joe,
Are you referring to the fact that over time the colors of the inks in
these old ads have shifted and faded? You want that color-shifted look?
If that's so, there's probably not a color emulsion that will reproduce
that for you, but since you're talking about doing gum anyway, I
wouldn't worry about getting that color balance or lack thereof on the
film but would create it with your choice of gum colors. Someone here
who works in the printing industry could probably help you with the
right choice of colors to substitute for the "process" colors, to
simulate the fading and color-shifting of the inks.

Yes, you can paint over gum with acrylic without a barrier between. You
could also use watercolors to paint over gum. In either case, you won't,
or shouldn't, get an interaction between the overwashes and the gum
layer, (what I mean here is that the overwash shouldn't disturb the
hardened gum) as the pigment in the gum layer will be hardened and
inert.
Katharine Thayer