Re: Color in the History of Alt Processes

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 12/16/02-04:50:51 AM Z

Hi Ernestine, great to hear from you...
An early interest in gum for me was to reproduce the effect of some
early color photographic processes, like autochrome. One of the main
reasons I took up gum was that I really hate the hard, sharp,
supersaturated look of modern color prints and was looking for a way to
print color much softer and less saturated than modern color (as well as
more permanent). I loved the look of autochromes, and that and another
1930s- chrome process whose name I have forgotten were the historical
precedents I looked to, rather than anything that had been done
historically in gum. I achieved the look by choosing less intense
pigments; the colors I used for tricolor gum were more likely to be
earth colors than "process" colors. Over time these colors have softened
even more and grown paler and more desaturated; I tend not to print
tricolor any more, and even when I do it I'm told it resembles a
split-toned black and white print.

Your question about drawing and painting is timely for me; I burned out
preparing my last gum show several months ago and have taken a hiatus
from gum printing for a while, to the extent that I've turned down
requests to schedule shows in 2003. In the meantime I've gone back to
painting and sketching, trying to reclaim and further my skills in those
areas, and I expect eventually to combine this with gum printing in some
kind of mixed media thing. In the past I've done some cliche-verre, so
I've printed from painted or drawn plates on glass or tissue paper, but
have never painted or drawn directly on the print.

Hope that's the kind of information you're looking for,

Katharine Thayer