Re: VDB bleeding

rurmonas@senet.com.au
Date: 12/19/02-10:47:16 AM Z

Quoting Don Bryant <dsbryant@mindspring.com>:

> This week during an exchange with the Traveling Alt. Portfolio group someone
> asked me why dmax areas of a VDB print "bleed" (diffusion of dmax areas on
> the edges of the exposed coating).
>
> I've no clue why this occurs. Does anyone know why this happens?

Without having seen the problem, I would say it is due to
insufficient aggitation in washing. Some of the brown silver
has not been retained by the paper, nor has the washing removed
this poorly retained silver. When the print has been hung up to
dry the "loose" silver has been able to run into adjacent areas.
Some papers are more problematic than others. I have seen what
I think is a similar problem with cyanotype. This required a
quick rinse under a tap to ensure any "loose" material was
fully washed away.

Richard

---
Richard Urmonas