Re: landscape photography

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/21/02-10:23:40 AM Z

> Could we please use the term "American landscape photography"? There are
> folks from many nations and many "landscapes" on this list. Shannon, you
> seem to have read widely on the subject -- have you seen Frizot's "A New
> History of Photography"? It includes a lot of history of landscape
> photgraphy by, for instance, the French, especially the calotype.
> Interesting in itself -- and reminder that there are many "landscape
> photographies."

Haven't seen that book. I'll look for it. Now that you mention it, I
remember some photographs of trees, almost like portaits of trees, by a
19th century French photographer, that I saw in an art history class. I
liked them a lot, but the teacher showed them as sort of a sideline to his
"real" work.

--shannon