photographic/ not photographic

From: Jon (fotonerd@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/21/02-04:55:19 PM Z

>From Judy
> ....As for "what is photographic" -- thanks to Jon on that one. Anything
> (even if we discount the lensless "photograph") made with a camera and
> light-sensitive material is "photographic." I think what was really
> meant by the term was *conventional* photo perspective. But conventions
> change with the times, taste, and equipment. Of course some folks can't
> help being "conventional," but.... surely not a meaningful goal......

Some of the confusion may result from using the term 'photographic' in two
ways.

Something can be photographic in process, or it can be of photographic
aesthetic.

An image may appear photographic such as the photo-realist painters. But
the actual process is not photographic. Or the flip side of that.

And I don't think people are discounting anything. Like I said in another
email, things are different, not better/worse.

Jon