Re: a new history of photo

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/22/02-12:44:15 AM Z

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Shannon Stoney wrote:

> Oh wait--now I remember I did see this recently in a bookstore and I spent a
> long time looking at it. It had a lot of stuff in it I had never seen
> before, as well as a great chapter on contemporary photography.

The book is something like 790 pages, I can just barely lift it... I
think BTW it's subsidised by the French government, or something -- $39 is
an amazing price. I haven't managed to read it all yet, but the chapter
on "Rituals and Customs," the hand-embellished photographs of the "folk"
(mostly turn of last century), is fabulous -- and below the radar of most
histories... to their great loss.

J.