Around a Circle

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net)
Date: 12/22/02-10:09:00 AM Z

S Wang wrote:
> ... Check this out. ...

Sam and Kerik,

You both have images showing an excellent ability to format the image
well in a circle. My question goes to subsequent presentation. It
seems that once the circle is placed into a square or rectangular frame
that some influence of the corners will tend to alter the interpretation
of the round image. Have either of you considered how to present the
circle without this corner influence?

This may be more of a question than is at first apparent. I recall
Frederick Sommer talking about the critical importance of corners to an
image. This is not to say your images do not work without corners, for
I feel that they very successfully do. But rather, because of this
demanding influence of corners, there seems to be a need to isolate the
circle from unintended corners. I believe that this may become
noticeable if a circular image is compared framed round or square. Have
either of you investigated this?

The size of the circle also seems to have some significance in that a
smaller circle seems to need more isolation and at some point a large
circle becomes independent of outside influence.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/