Re: Definition- landscape arguement- now Finnish rule-breakers

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 12/22/02-05:42:23 AM Z

Clay wrote:

> Yeah, Mr Sammallahti's photos make my jaw drop. The John Cleary gallery
> here in Houston represents him, and I spend a wonderful couple of hours
> ogling his prints. Humbling experience. Have you seen the one of the
> little boy in Nepal with the string wrapped around the base of this big
> old tree? He's actually got PEOPLE and ANIMALS in his landscapes. And
> they work. Really well.

I discovered him several years ago in a rather odd place, the exhibit
space in one corner of the floor of Powells Bookstore that houses art
and photography books. The exhibits there are as a rule unremarkable and
they're not listed in the gallery listings in the paper, so I wouldn't
have known about this except that my son who works at Powells sent me an
e-mail "You HAVE to come and see these photographs." So I did, and I was
blown away. As far as I know, he hasn't been shown anywhere else in the
area.

I don't think I've seen the one with the string and the tree; I think
everything I've seen was from Finland. I love the dogs in his pictures;
that was what prompted my mentioning him to Shannon.

kt