Re: cheese and the moon. Re: Definition- landscape arguement continued

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 12/25/02-02:57:01 AM Z

Judy,

In no way would I ever accuse you of being a grinch... besides, I thought
only men could be grinches...heheheheh just kidding... sort of a
quasi-gender-joke and as with most my jokes falling just a hair short of the
mark... not a male hair nor a female hair... just an asexual hair...so to
speak... anyway, I was sorta counting on your lack of resistance to the
question, or I wouldn't have asked it.

However, I will defend your right to be a grinchette if you want to and
they'll have to pry my cold, dead fingers off my D1X if they try to stop me.

Anyway, one would have to be green anyway to be a grinch.... and I know you
in no way are green or even green with envy or pyro stain or anything else...

I do understand the issues you wrote of... regarding how people are portrayed
in our society.... in fact both men and women.... even alt-photographers.

So here I sit alone on Christmas Eve in Florida pondering the difference
between cockroaches and palmetto bugs. Now to me, a native of Illinois, they
look like cockroaches. But, I've never heard a cockroach sing before and
these suckers can sing like a bird! And they are about as big as a bird...

So anyway, once I tired of pondering roach/palmetto bug, I read your response
to my question, which was quite clear. And I do understand the issues of
gender, power, peeing, and being nekkid. I've done all of them, though not
usually at the same time and not necessarily in that order.

Before I go on, I think there is a great show at the Center for Creative Pho
tography—an exhibit called "Girl Culture" by Lauren Greenfield (female
photographer) that powerfully adresses some of the issues you raise. I was
fortunate enough to see it recently.
http://www.library.arizona.edu/branches/ccp/home/home.html

OK, so it's already Christmas morning and the palmetto bugs are singing and
circling.

Let's take a wild leap from reality and assume that I am not a dirty old man
that just wants to get young girls nekkid, that I am just as interested in
photographing males as females, and let's assume that I would photograph both
young and old and obese and skinny and black and white and brown and yellow
and green (this would include grinches), and pretty and ugly and pretty
ugly.... every combination you can imagine... I am MR EQUAL OPPORTUNITY....
so now... what do I do if I find the HUMAN body an interesting subject to
photograph? How do I do that without walking into the valley of the shadow
of the grinch?

OK, one plea I will make in advance to the grinch... please your
grinchness.... do not say that there is no reason to do it because it has
already been done... that would launch me into another discussion that might
screw up my New Years Eve party...and I've already paid dearly for young,
shapely cocktail waitresses wearing Catholic Schoolgirl outfits to cater the
damn thing.

So, help me oh wise grinch ;)

(actually it is a serious question...I probably just dipped into the eggnog
too much)

By the way, as a male I might admit to having kissed Santa, but I didn't kiss
him on the lips. But if it weren't for those damned stereotypes, I coulda
done it if I had wanted to....well I wouldn't have used my tongue though...

Happy Holidays to everyone out there in Alt-Photo land... you are a great
bunch of people.

Mark Nelson