girls gone wild in the Andes

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/26/02-08:17:58 AM Z

Katherine wrote:

> Many years ago when I was doing the backpacker
> thing through South America I
> was startled to see the bowler hatted-women
> high in the Andes in Bolivia
> with their layers and layers of thick skirts,
> simply pause in their
> progress, squat for a bit and continue on their
> way across the plain. Easy
> peesy.
>
> It occurred to me that here was the ideal film
> change bag. The idea has been
> stuck in my mind ever since. The voluminous
> skirts attached to the body at
> the waist provides a naturally supported
> darkroom area. Entry through the
> pockets. Inside the skirts, the wearer can
> simply change the dark slide,
> fill the pinhole camera, un-jam 35mm film, tape
> up the Dianna, etc etc. No
> carpentry needed, ideal for men and women.

What a great idea! And, the more voluminous the skirt, the larger the format
you could handle under there. YOu could even have your 4x5 skirt, your 8x10
skirt, and your ULF skirt. The pockets could have elastic like the sleeves of
film changing bags. I wonder if we could run some of these up and put an ad
in View Camera...

--shannon