RE: Chuck Close Daguerreotypes

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 12/28/02-04:04:27 PM Z

Hi Arthur,

> ... Instead, they are slick, machine-made parodies of the traditional
form.
> What's the problem? Perhaps it's the industrial finish of the plates,
which look more like mylar than silver.
> It probably also has something to do with the 30,000 watt-seconds of
Elinchrome strobes (6 power packs) that has only worked > to kill the
portrait subjects.
> These pictures look more like they came from a NASA lab then an artist's
studio. But my guess is that it has something to > do with Chuck's
sensibility, which can't distinguish between the good, the bad, and the
ugly.

Interesting! I've not seen the show, so I am intrigued by your response.

But, Arthur - do I not recall your speaking well of Jerry Spagnoli's
exhibition of dag's just this time last year at Houk??? As I am sure you
know, Jerry makes Chuck's dag's - and Jerry used the same 30,000 watt
strobes to make the work in his exhibition as well; the plates are the same,
etc., etc.

I am not making speaking in defense of Close's work - perhaps it is Chuck's
sensibility that disturbs you. Or, perhaps, it's the price tag?? And the
fact that the show always sell out?? (How much are they? $25K?? True?!?
...or??)

Just wondering....

Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com