Re: Chuck Close Daguerreotypes

From: Phillip Murphy (pmurf@bellsouth.net)
Date: 12/29/02-06:16:49 PM Z

Hello,

It's my personal opinion that creating Daguerreotypes and allowing an
art personality to put his name to the work is a type of alt-whoring.
Sorry Jerry, I love your work and you are an extremely talented and
generous person. The arguement is different when an artist isn't
pulling
from his own printing plates or not printing his own negatives or not
casting his bronze horse. I suppose you could say the same about the
guy
behind the 20 x 24 Polaroid camera or perhaps Avedon when he doesn't
open and close the shutter. Does this collaboration make the "creator"
of the image more akin to a motion picture director or perhaps an
architect? It's possible, that with his condition, that Chuck Close
would not
be able to physically create a Daguerreotype on his own. I have no
idea. Maybe it's just me, but the whole thing just doesn't seem to ring
true.
Don't get me wrong, I wish them both much success. It just leaves for
me as a viewer a kind of distancing from the artist who sweated over
his/her medium and has left her/his intimate touch (or not) on the final
plate.

IMHO,

Phillip