Re: Flatbed Scanners

From: Alan Mynett (a.mynett@ntlworld.com)
Date: 12/29/02-07:51:33 AM Z

Every so often there is a post about scanners. For what it's worth,
here are a few observations about the Epson 2450.

I've been using the Epson 2450 for just over a year now - and have
been very pleased with it. The built-in transparency hood works fine
and masks are provided for 35mm (mounted slides and strips up to 12
frames), 6 x 7 and 5 x 4. 2400dpi is good enough for 12in x 9.5in at
least from 35mm with the Epson C80 printer. As value for money it
is very good.
The Epson TWAIN driver and software is serviceable - we use the
photocopier function a lot. For scanning I use either Silverfast or Vuescan.

Just beware that the specification of an OD of 3.4 is *very* optimistic.
Using Vuescan software I can use the 2450 as a make-shift densitometer. In
transmission mode it is accurate up to about OD = 2.5. The curve
flattens considerably from then on. OD=3.0 is the useable max. In
reflection mode the max is about 1.90.

If anyone is interested, the graphs I obtained can seen at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.mynett/ep2450/2450densi.htm

--
Alan Mynett
http://www.mynett.org.uk