RE: emulsion formulas, update

From: ken watson (watsok@frii.com)
Date: 01/03/02-07:58:33 PM Z

I did have time to visit one University Library, their SPIE journals ended
around 67 so I need to check another. I did run across a good book called
Photographic Emulsion Chemistry. It is very detailed in the interactions of
the components of the emulsion but lacks a recipe. What is the time frame
for copy right? If it is expired I could OCR this book and post it for
all to use. It would be very good for trouble shooting. The more
interesting thing I read ( superficially ) was single-jet vs dual-jet
ripening. There was a comment that Lippman used dual-jet ripening as it
offered 1 micron sized grains. This emulsion was apparently clear vs cloudy
as the grain size was so small.

Thanks to Richard M. Koolish, he seems to have found the best recipe I have
run across online . I have looked at the dye transfer site ,
www.dyetransfer.org and they did have detailed info on how to make gelatin
emulsion in order to make DIY matrix for this process. I am somewhat
concerned, though, in that they want thick coatings and I believe ( need to
read again) they have about half the silver typically found in regular
negative film / plates. One thing did come to mind from reading this. On
the other hand , I have been interested in carbon printing because of the
texture that can be had with this process. Since Dye Transfer DOES
inherently have texture in the matrix. It seems texture may be possible
using similar processing as Dye transfer, only with the object of making a
textured silver print.

Thanks again to Richard Knoppow for offering up additional books for me to
search for. Anyone that may have books on the subject, that are beyond the
copy right and care to have them OCR'd I am willing to do the work...unless
we are talking over 200 pages or so.

As a tip for those who may want to OCR a book. I have found that if I
actually copy it , enlarged, on a Xerox machine and then scan it in, these
enlarged copies it seems to work quite well. I can adjust the density /
exposure to compensate for problems ( darkened / yellow paper ) while
Xeroxing if necessary. I also get two pages on each side of the paper and
the book gets back into the library with out late fines due to my lack of
diligence.