RE: emulsion formulas

From: ken watson (watsok@frii.com)
Date: 01/03/02-09:51:31 PM Z

Charles,

I am writing off list to thank you for the detailed input. I do have a few
questions, if you feel up to answering them.

What do you sub glass with?
Is "photographic gelatin" not the pure stuff that needs everything added
back in for sensitivity?
Is the bloom rating important?
As for coating. I was thinking of following Eastman. He had a roller in a
trough. I was planning on "rolling" the glass over the roller that is in
contact with he gelatin emulsion in the trough. If the glass is relatively
warm I was hoping that it would level itself out before setting. Any input?

As for books. If you would feel comfortable to loan one of them to me for
copying it would be appreciated. If a deposit to insure it's return would
make you more comfortable I would understand. On the other hand if you
could get around to copy a book I would be happy to reimburse you.

I do wet plate photography so I understand that not all things are possible
to include even in the best effort to describe a process. My interest is
to get a "good" emulsion, what ever the speed may be. ASA 25 seemed a
reasonable target from a naive point of view. My understanding was that
Gelatin emulsions, any emulsion, would be faster than collodion. I shoot my
collodion images at f11 / 16 for three seconds. I believe this is a ASA
rating or 1/3 or 1/6?

My first goal was to only make orthochromatic , sorta, type of film. It
seemed that the addition of only one common dye would do this. Ethyl Red is
what I was planning on using. Seems easy to find and relatively low cost.

So could you pass along what equipment you are using to make your emulsion?

With the trouble I am having find a central source for this I think it
warrants setting up a web page for all the information that folks like you
are generously passing along.

As for the book scalpers. It seems they are interested is selling a
book....any book that might be old and will bring them some money. They have
no use for the information that is in them. We ,on the other hand, do not
really need the book itself but the info they contain. Hopefully in the
future we can separate the two.