Re: dichromate toxicity and remediation

BobWicks@aol.com
Date: 01/11/02-07:53:19 PM Z

Robert:
I will respond to your question of toxicity of potassium bichromate. This
chemical should not come in contact with your skin so you should wear rubber
gloves or as I have done use stainless steel tongs. Some of my college
students sprayed the sensitizer even in a fume hood and developed a chemical
pneumonia. Never spray this as is soluble and absorbs immediately especially
on mucous membranes. Brush it on never spray it without extreme precautions
such as a special mask and fume hood. Its too dangerous not to follow these
questions.

You might want to consider using diazo salts as it reacts just like
bichromate but is not toxic. Good luck.

Bob Wicks, Prof Emeritus Art/Phbotography