Re: Dichromate and diazo

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 01/13/02-02:03:51 PM Z

robert wrote:

 what are these photo-cross linking mechanisms?
> Are they described anywhere, say, in the way that Michael Ware explains
> Cyanotype chemistry in his book (is this already out of print?)? Such a
> thorough explanation would be extremely helpful

 Kosar has the most complete description that I know of, and it's not
very complete. (Bob's attachment isn't helpful since I can't open it.)
The process as I understand it isn't written down completely anywhere
except in notes I made for my manuscript-in-process, while doing my own
investigations into the topic last May and June. I think I have a pretty
good general understanding but some of the exact mechanisms are unknown,
partly because of the complexity and variability of the molecules
involved and partly because no one has done the necessary research.
Certainly no one has investigated empiricially how the mechanisms differ
between processes.

I'm not so excited about the diazo idea; my understanding is that it's
slow and that it's very contrasty; these drawbacks together make it
unappealing for me.
Katharine Thayer