Re: gold toning van dyke browns

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 01/25/02-08:49:43 AM Z

Yesterday Dick Sullivan provided a simple gold toning formula for
vandyke, with the note that it could also be used with the
substitution of the gold by platinum solution #3.

I have used both the gold and platinum versions of this toner with
vandyke and they both work well. I use both after washing the exposed
print, but before fixing. One of the real advantages to toning before
fixing is that there is very little if any further bleaching of the
image in the subsequent wet processing.

One note of economy is in order given the considerable cost of these
solutions. Unless you just love the look of brush-marks, or simply
feel compelled to provide greater economic support to Dick and B&S,
*mask* the sensitized areas around the image when exposing. These
dark exposed areas will really eat up the toner and greatly reduce
its capacity.

Sandy King