RE: UV Lamps, Etc.

From: Ken Watson (watsok@frii.com)
Date: 07/08/02-10:41:28 AM Z

Some local restriction on lamp type may have to do with light pollution of
the night sky, the telescope folks seem to like HP Sodium because it is
easy to filter out ( narrow spectrum). This may be the home depot issue.
As for mercury vapor lamps these should be available from commercial light
houses. I believe mercury vapor may be phasing out for sodium's lower
cost,or lower operating costs thus the limited availability you are
encountering. Look for another commercial or industrial electrical
supplier's in your area. Ask an electrician. I think the model numbers are
not important just the power output / consumption . So if you just ask for
the generic kilowatt ( or what ever power you want ) mercury vapor lamp,
fixture and reflector you may find what you need easier. Be careful some
may require 220V wiring ( I expect most).

I have also heard that some lamps have a UV filter as part of their outer
glass shell. This is there to protect the real glass envelope from water
and dirt. I suspect one can cut this outer envelope off and get a
tremendous increase in the amount of UV. Just do not touch the inner
glass container, or if you do use alcohol to clean the glass very well. Of
course if you do not know what you are doing, find a teenager. They know
they are immortal and can do anything. You just need to stand off and call
911 in case they are wrong.

Have fun