Re: DIY ground glass

From: John Cremati (johnjohnc@core.com)
Date: 07/09/02-11:43:37 AM Z

     I found it hard to get a even etching.... It does work however and I
think it would be better than sandblasted glass ... I think you have to get
the glass supper clean as there is a silicon substance applied at the time
of manufacture of glass to prevent scratching of plates rubbing against
themselves...
        I would first buff the glass using Bon Ami which is found in
Grocery Stores to clean off all residue deposits. BonAmi is just fine
ground pumice and is used in a prepolish step to bring optical glass to a
high polish....I would then coat the glass heavily and evenly and be patient
allowing extra time... You could apply several coats brushing in the
opposite directions..Any finger prints will cause the etching cream to work
slower in that area and cause a uneven etch..You may want to clean it with
acetone as well prior to the buffing with Ami.....