Re: acid etched glass

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/11/02-03:26:16 PM Z

John Cremati wrote:

> I think I would take advantage of acid etched finish. It is a very
>smooth opaque surface, allowing you to pick up more detail in viewing....I
>suppose this is why the manufacture of most view camera's that I have seen
>use acid etched glass as it is far superior to the ground finish.......
> Should you try the acid etching cream ...try to get the extra strong
>stuff if it is available as the over the counter stuff pretty
>diluted. Again make sure the glass is very clean before application.
> Armour Products Inc. used to put out a Etched bath dipping
>solution as well
>as a etching cream for the hobbyist...
>Phone: 210-847-0404 It is a old number and I hope it is still good.

The product John refers to is called Armour Etch and I have used it
on several occasions to make ground glass. It is available at good
hobby stores like Michaels. You can get a very fine and smooth
etching with this product if you take care to clean the glass very
thoroughly before etching. With two short etchings of 3-5 minutes you
can get a very even ground glass that is great for detail. To etch
first tape the back of the glass to avoid drip over and etching of
the smooth side, then apply a fairly thick coating of Armour Etch
(this is a hydrofluoric aicd paste) with a brush, as quickly as
possible. Allow to etch for 3-5 minutes, wash thoroughly, then repeat
the process.

You can even etch previously sand-blasted glass for a smoother finish
that shows better detail. Just proceed as above.

Sandy King