Re: Hardened Gum reversible?

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/16/02-02:26:05 AM Z

Hi Cor,

If the first layer was dried quickly (say with a hair dryer) before it
was completely developed, so that there is dried unhardened gum on the
paper, then yes, some more of the unhardened gum will probably come off
when you get it wet again, especially if you scrub it. But if the first
layer was properly developed and there is only hardened gum in the
print, then it should be immovable. That's why we can print layer after
layer and not lose anything of the previous layers when developing the
subsequent ones.

Household ammonia will remove some of the hardened gum while it is still
wet the first time. I've never tried it on dried hardened gum before,
but before finishing this sentence I did go out to the studio and pour
some ammonia out of the bottle onto an old scrap print in dark brown and
let it sit for ten or fifteen minutes. There was no evidence of
softening, and after scrubbing with a brush and then rubbing with a
white paper towel, no color came off on the paper towel.
Katharine