Re: HP5+ and LONG development times

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/17/02-11:22:45 AM Z

Sandy wrote:

> Pyrocat-HD is based on pyrocatechin (catechol), not pyrogallol.
> Pyrocatechin is also toxic, but as far as I can determine no more so
> than hydroquinone, to which it is closely related. And of course
> hydroquinone is in D76 and most all MQ paper developers.

OK, that's good to know.

> Even so I would recommend that you avoid splashing around any
> developer. With the exception of those based on ascorbic acid they
> are all quite toxic, both via inhalation and via skin absorption.

I didn't know that ascorbic acid was a developer! Which developers are
based on it?

I am pretty careful. I wear gloves and a mask when playing with developer.

> Finally, yes TRI-X is a much better film than HP5+ for getting the
> high contrast needed for most forms of alternative printing.
> Unfortunately it has become prohibitively expensive to purchase, even
> with special order, for the ULF sizes in which I do much of my work.

That's too bad. I love Tri X. I should have maintained my loyalty to it,
but I was tempted by the low price of HP5+ in smaller boxes. I think I am
going to go back to it as it's not hard to get in 8x10.

--shannon