Re: HP5+ and LONG development times

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/17/02-12:34:39 PM Z

>I process in straight D-76 in a homemade BTZS-style tube,
> >at 68 degrees. I am thinking maybe I should make the temperature warmer
>>rather than making the times longer. But, then what will I do if I ever
>>have to increase the development time further for a low-constrast scene?
>>(Excuse the cross posting if you read
>>the pinhole and alt-process lists.)
>>
>>--shannon
>>
> D-76 is not a particularly high contrast developer. You might have better
>results with Kodak DK-50. Start at 1:1 dilution. Its a medium grain
>developer, about like T-Max RS, that should make no difference for 8x10.
> For higher densities you might have to go to T-Max 400, which is capable
>of higher contrast and density than HP-5. Even with D-76 T-Max 400 will
>reach log densities of 3.0.
>----
>Richard Knoppow
>Los Angeles, CA, USA
>dickburk@ix.netcom.com

You might also try Kodak's D-19, a very energetic developer that will
give you about as much contrast as you can get outside of a staining
developer. Zoe Zimmerman, whose work was featured in a recent issue
of View Camera, mentioned at the Large Format Conference in
Albuquerque that she uses D-19 for negatives she intends to print in
albumen, which requires a density range of 1.8 and above. I don't
know if D-19 is still packaged by Kodak, but if not you can find the
formula in a number of sources.

However, my personal opinion is that to get any snap in your print
with HP5+ from a really low-contrast scene you will be better off
with either ABC+ or Pyroca-HD since the effective printing DR with
these developers will be much greater than the actual DR read by a
densitometer because of the actinic stain.

Sandy King