Re: HP5+ and LONG development times

From: Rocky (rocky@pdq.net)
Date: 07/17/02-04:09:43 PM Z

XTOL 1:1 works well for me with Tri-X rated at ISO 250 and push processed
+20% for a small contrast boost.

I have used regular tap water from the west side of Houston with it for
several years and have not experienced any of the reported problems. I tried
distilled water and saw no difference. I use the 1Ltr packs and also have
not experienced any of the reported problems. Even had the A pack hard as a
rock a couple of times and had to break it up.

I do Platinum/Palladium, Kallitype, Silver B&W and transparencies. I shoot
35mm, 120mm, 4x5 and 8x10 and use XTOL in all cases. I also have used many
other films with this developer and found them all satisfactory.

The only problem I experienced was pinholes with the XTOL 1:1 and Astia
combination. I believe it was due to the stop bath. I discontinued using
stop bath in all my negative development but did discontinue using the Astia
at the same time due to poor service support so am uncertain if it was the
film or the stop bath. It doesn't seem to have made any difference in any of
the other films.

Rocky
Houston, TX