RE: finally: a good HP5+ negative

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 07/18/02-05:06:55 PM Z

At 11:47 PM 07/18/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>What about raising the developer pH by adding (for example) some carbonate?
>(And maybe some bromide if fog rises too much)
>

>Liam

  Since Shanon is using D-76 (I think she said) she can add Borax. Up to
ten times the normal amount of Borax can be used (20 grams/liter). Packaged
D-76 is buffered with boric acid so adding Borax will not raise its
activity quite as much as it will the original formula, but there will
still be a noticable increase. The trade off is grain. Adding about 0.5
gram/liter of Kbr to D-76 will result in very slightly higher film speed.
This applies to unused D-76, after developing film in it there will be some
bromide from the film.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA