T Max and graininess

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/18/02-11:09:11 PM Z

Thanks, Richard, for the encyclopedic (as usual) answer to my question about
developers for T Max. I have one further question:

> There are two T-Max developers (thanks, Kodak). T-Max and T-Max RS. They
> are slightly different although both appear to be Phenidone-Hydroquinone
> developers.
> Both developers tend to produce long straight line characteristics, low
> fog, and are capable of very high Dmax. They are medium grainy.

I thought that the whole point of tabular grain films was to reduce
graininess. That's why I was surprised and dismayed when my 35mm T Max
experiments looked grainier than Tri X developed in D 76. Of course
graininess is not as bothersome in contact prints as it is in enlargements;
still, why did they develop tabular grain films if using the developer that
was designed to go with them makes them look grainy?

--shannon