Tonal Scale and The Film Developing Cookbook

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/19/02-06:46:48 PM Z

Richard Knoppow wrote:

> What bothers me is that Anchell has become an "authority" despite that
>much of what he wrote comes from other sources and is indefinite in the way
>this statement is.
> If you want to see extensive research on tonal rendition of B&W look up
>the old papers by Lloyd A. Jones, of Kodak Laboratories, and his various
>associates. From about 1920 to the late 1950's he published extensively in
>this area. Most of the key papers were published in the Journal of the
>Franklin Institute.
>----
>Richard Knoppow
>Los Angeles, CA, USA
>dickburk@ix.netcom.com

I can find several examples in The Film Developing Cookbook where the
term "tonal scale" is used in a basically meaningless context, as
quoted by Bob Schramm: "Also Steve Anchell says HP4 and Xtol is the
best B&W combo available in terms of tonal range." However, I was
unable to find the particujlar passage quote by Bob. Could someone
direct me to the exact page in the FDC where the statement is made?

I could also cite a number of other statements in the FDC with which
I strongly disagree, such as "we strongly recommend BPF 200 to large
format photographers and those involved with alternative processes."
There are also quite a number of errors, some of which have been
corrected in an on-line errata sheet. I also have other issues with
the book, but why go on.

However, in spite of its shortcoming I think The Film Developing
Cookbook is a useful book in bridging the gap between practical
photographers and sources such as the Journal of the Franklin
Institute and other authoritative works like Grant Haist's Modern
Photograhic Processing. The major contribution of the FDC in my
opinion is that it popularizes research which would otherwise never
get into the hands of most photographers, even those who work on a
serious level, and provides even the casual user with a basic
understanding of the various components of film developers and of
their interrelationship. My personal opinion is that the FDC is an
important niche book and would on the whole be a useful addition to
the library of many persons on this list.

But yes it is really quite silly and meaningless to say that "HP4 and
Xtol is the best B&W combo available in terms of tonal range."

Sandy King