T-MAX

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 07/20/02-12:15:26 PM Z

DEAR LIST,
    I have been following this thread while recovering from a flu I picked
up at a fencing coach's training camp in Montreal.
    One thing that no one seems to mention when discussing film/developer
combinations is acutance. Classically, the trade off was grain vs.
acutance which is perceived sharpness. Finer grain developers produced more
possible detail and subtle tonal separation but less acutance ("softer"
looking image). This was often due to the absence of edge effects in fine
grain developers. Often grainier developers had more edge effects and
provided images with more acutance which appeared sharper due to exaggerated
edges.
    I find T-max developer to provide images VERY low in acutance...no edge
effects. When I want to flatter a portrait subject and minimize the fine
facial detail (euphemism for lines and blemishes) I use T-max 100 film and
T-max developer.
    For most of my personal black and white work I use T-max 400 with PMK.
What I love about PMK is that it produces very fine grain, decent film
speed, AND GREAT acutance due to the edge effects of the pyro and the highly
diluted developer.
I am about to try Xtol because it is less toxic, nonstaining (faster
printing for most alt processes), fine grain AND supposed to deliver high
acutance.
    Just some food for thought.
                    CHEERS!
                        BOB