Daguerreotype Question

From: Paul Martinez (paulmartinez@telocity.com)
Date: 07/26/02-08:45:28 AM Z

Hi-

I'm in the process (still) of assembling equipment for
a foray in the wild and wooly world Dags and I have two
general questions...

Does the material of the plate that going to get coated
eventually matter? There is a place in St Louis that
will silver plate brass instead of copper and I would
think that it shouldn't matter as long as the polishing
is good.

Also, (and this is kind of a dumb question) can I
contact print with regular negs instead of retrofitting
a camera or building something new? What does you lose
if you contact print (other than the inherent cache of
toting a handmade camera around)?

thank you.