RE: images on metal

From: Wendy Gollihue (wgolli@flash.net)
Date: 07/29/02-04:07:59 PM Z

If the Houston Center for Photography is a small place that looks as if it
used to be, forgive me, an old 'quick stop' type place then this is the
place. I trekked quite a bit of houston... soooo.... much of what i
remember has become mixed up parts. Add the wine and 90% of the downtown
road system under construction and i'm lucky to remember that it was
Houston!!! But it for sure is none of the others that you have listed.

Angola!!!! It's been on the tip of my tongue all day and it just rolled
off. She went into Angola and got permission to photograph these inmates.
She hung a cloth, a makeshift backdrop and photographed. The backdrop is
made to be a part of many of the images. (okay, the image went beyond the
boundries of the backdrop) These images impressed me tremendously. They are
on metal plates. She had coated the plates on the image side with a
substance to protect the image. (Polyurethane???) You could feel the cut of
the metal on the back where it was etched roughly, nothing precise or
perfect. It was an interactive display. One was able to pull the heavy
metal drawers out and pull out a plate and read the back....very hands on.

I want to say her first name was Dorothy. This Dorothy Krause that is
mentioned in previous send may be the one. But not sure. I didn't see any
of the work that I viewed in Houston on the site given.

Wendy