Re: digital aesthetic

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/31/02-03:39:41 PM Z

David wrote:

> For us, digital makes me feel we are losing some kind of tempo, a kind of
> lounging rythm about the many years to learn how to think about what you
> want to photograph, to find your own way of looking at the world, to
> translate it from your head to the print ...
>
> Digital is fast, too fast for me. It's trial and error at ultra speed, and
> this speed maybe imposes its own aesthetic.

It's certainly faster than making 8x10 cyanotypes from pinhole camera
negatives processed one at a time...It takes me hours to make one print that
way.

but you can spend hours slaving over a hot computer too, to get a digital
print just right.

Also if you have the money, you can get digital backs for your view and
pinhole cameras so that you can compose the image in a more contemplative
way. All SLRs seem fast to me. They're lightweight and fast. The digital
camera just makes it a bit faster because there is no film to process. I
guess you could visualize a sort of continuum with large format alt process
pinhole images at the slow end, and point and shoot prints from the drug
store at the fast end. Homemade digital images are still a little slower
and more labor intensive than boughten prints from Walmart.

--shannon