Re: chrome alum... Green stains

At 08:24 AM 05/02/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> --- Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com> schrieb:
>

>SNIPPITY DO DA...
>>   Chrome alum ... can leave a green stain,
>
>Yea, I heard about this so several years ago I did
>some tests... I found that chrome alum only stains
>when the print is processed in a certain order... I
>got very clear results that seemed to eliminate the
>confusion and uncertainity out of hardening (silver
>halide-gelatin)prints with chrome alum. It CAN be done
>safely!
>
>If anyone wants to try it and see, I can pull out my
>old lab book for the details....
>
>FW

  I think the stain may be pH related, I remember something about its
occuring with partially exhaused chrome alum fixing baths, something which
is irrelevant for alt processes use.
  I don't know enough about the structure of chrome alum to know if its a
carcinogen, some chrome compounds are and some are not. Like many other
things if it doesn't get into or on your body its not going to hurt you.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com