Re: Paper for Oil Printing

Witho,

Suposedly I had what Americans call "dumb luck." But there might be a
message there. Another thing we call in the vernacular, KISS, that is "Keep
it simple stupid." Of course this does not refer to you in any way! It's
just a phrase and there is even a set of books with KISS in the title, like
the "For Dummies." [It's an international list and sometimes folks forget
that some don't understand local colloquialisms.]

Your the three separate coatings seem to be overkill and could be the
source of a lot of problems.

Since you don't have a coating machine I'd use Sandy's (King) laydown
method for making carbon tissue but only use it for laying down a 10% clear
coating. He has a book on carbon for sale (not meant to be an ad, but we
have it or you can order from him as well. I think I recall you do make
carbon tissue so this might be easy for you.

Here's how I'd proceed: Make a 10% solution, use as high a bloom as you can
get. 250 would be good. Start with 5 ml of glyoxal per 1000 ml for hardening.

Sensitize in 5% ammonium dichromate of equivalent amount of pot dichromate.

I suspect after treatment with glycerine might help. I didn't use any after
treatment and got fairly good results.

I ink with an American Bromoil brush that we carry and Chemical and Ink Co.
Litho ink straight out of the can. I did use a teeny amount of naptha to
think it but be careful! A little goes a long ways.

Will I be seeing you at APIS Bradford? I'll bring the prints.

--Dick

--Dick