re:fresson

Many Fresson-like processes have been published over the years. Most
sources say thee clones are nowhere as good as the real Fressons. The
originals that I saw were in color and were quite striking.

The sawdust is no secret, they showed me the development of a print with
sawdust. I also got to see the enlarger. It is in the form of a cross laid
flat, (Red Cross style) It has a metal halide light in the center with four
easels at the ends with negative holders and lenses that can slide along
the track radiating out from the center to focus the negs on the paper in
the easels. Four at once.

I believe it is a one shot exposure for full color as I didn't see any
filters in the optical train although those could have been mono prints
cooking. I judged the exposures to be in the hours though I didn't time any
or ask about exposure times. I didn't want to be excessively nosey.

There are plenty of rumors floating around France among the old timers as
to how the process works. From my experience roller coating carbon tissue,
I think I have a good idea of how it is done. At least the enlarging speed
part.

Luis Nadeau, formerly of this list has the Fresson process obtained through
a Spanish source and there seems to be some contention about this from the
Fresson family. I do not think Nadeau is actively producing Fresson prints
however.

I did ask about Arvel tissue and the elder Fresson grinned went to the back
and came out with a package or Arvel tissue! c. 1915! Fresson produced it
for the market.

Oh to have a weekend roaming through their drawers and files.....maybe a month?

--Dick Sullivan