What is solarization?

Judy Seigel wrote:

I understand the term solarization as Cassell defines it, as a
reversal that occurs from extreme over-exposure. For example, if you
take a picture on a sunny day that includes the sun you will under
some conditions get a reversal of tones, that is, the bright sun
becomes a black circle.

Over-exposure of 2-3 stops does not constitute extreme over-exposure,
at least in my opinion.

I don't know what to call the phenomenon that I observed and
described but it does not seem to fit with my understanding of
solarization, which would include halation, bronzing and gross
reversal of tones.

Sandy